With over 135 universities to choose from in 36 different countries, you have a range of options! To find the site that is right for you, spend some time researching the different programs through the website.
You might find it helpful to print this page as a guide while researching.Factors to Consider
- Academic Program – are there specific courses you need to take? Make an appointment with your academic advisor to find out courses you need and how the credits will transfer.
- Language ability – do you speak another language or want to learn?
- Type and size of institution – small institutions could offer more personal attention; large universities may have more course options.
- Location - major cities offer a lot of attractions, but it may be easier to meet people and feel at home in a medium-size city or smaller town. Also note that many universities outside the USA may not have a campus, but rather buildings spread throughout the city.
- Housing and meals - living with a family, in a student residence or in an apartment involves different levels of independence and integration.
- Financial considerations – how does your university’s policies for choosing ISEP Exchange or ISEP-Direct affect your decision? What are the local costs of living for the city abroad? Also find out if housing deposits or other additional fees are required.
- Dates – because of differing academic calendars of some countries, you may only be able to do a semester-long program during the spring semester.
- Length of study – while a full-year program may seem daunting, most students who go for a semester come back wishing they had stayed for a full-year. Also keep in mind that with financial aid and scholarships, a semester or year-long ISEP-Exchange may be even more affordable than a summer program.
- Chances of exchange placement – some sites have less space available than others. Check the ISEP Directory for the site’s “Chances of Placement”.If applying to sites with the E* (limited openings), be sure to choose some alternates for your application.