home search login
ISEPMissouri Southern State Universityheader

Study in the U.S.


English Language Requirements

ISEP member institutions in the US require proof of English language proficiency from international students who are not native English speakers. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is the most commonly accepted test, but more than half of the ISEP member institutions in the USA also accept alternate test scores.

Non-native English speakers applying for programs taught in English in countries outside the USA may also have to submit TOEFL or other test scores.

┬┐Hablas espa├▒ol?
Come to Puerto Rico!

Experience the USA in Spanish in a beautiful tropical island destination.

• No TOEFL is required.

• Textbooks and research materials are often in English, but the language of instruction is Spanish.

• Non-native Spanish speakers must have completed the equivalent of at least four semesters of Spanish before beginning their exchange.

• The application must include a Language Proficiency Report for Spanish and a personal statement written in Spanish.

• Excellent chance of placement!

The minimum requirement for all accepted tests and details about language requirements is listed in the ISEP Membership Directory for each institution or the following spreadsheet.

Download Excel file: Language Requirements and English as a Foreign Language Options at U.S. Institutions >>

The IELTS is accepted by an increasing number of ISEP member institutions.  For information about the IELTS, see www.ielts.org

Language Proficiency Report
The ISEP Language Proficiency Report form (LPR) is part of the application materials that can be downloaded from the ISEP website.  It includes a rating of your English skills by a language professor at your institution.  Some U.S. institutions will accept a strong Language Proficiency Report as sufficient proof.  If you submit an LPR, be sure to include information about the number of years and level of English you took in secondary school, and submit a report of the grade you earned on your secondary school certificate or diploma.


Many US institutions prefer the TOEFL; international applicants that do not submit an official TOEFL score cannot be considered for these sites.  
If TOEFL is required by your applications sites, ISEP must receive the official copy of your TOEFL before placement can be finalized. You are advised to make arrangements for taking the TOEFL as soon as possible. It takes six weeks from the time you take the exam until ISEP receives your score report, without which your application is incomplete.

Institutional TOEFL score
Some international institutions administer the Institutional TOEFL—a paper and pencil version of the TOEFL. This test does not produce an official TOEFL score, but the score is accepted as proof of language proficiency by some U.S. institutions. Including an institutional TOEFL score with your application may also make it easier for an institution that requires the TOEFL to consider your application although you may still be required to submit an official score for final confirmation.

English as a Second Language Courses

ISEP-Exchanges are not designed for students who wish to take full-time English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at a US institution. Some institutions may offer ESL in addition to regular academic coursework, but such study cannot be the primary focus of your exchange.