home search login

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

<< Back to Study in the USA


Looking for an embassy in the U.S. or a U.S. Embassy abroad?

Extending Your Stay in the USA

ISEP will consider an extension of your stay in the United States under ISEP sponsorship if:

Procedure for J-1 Status Extension

If ISEP authorizes your extension, ISEP will send you a DS-2019 with new program dates. You must ensure that your passport is valid for a period of six months beyond the ending date listed on the extended DS-2019. If your passport will expire before the end of this six-month period, you must first have the passport revalidated. The embassy or consulate of your home country handles revalidation of passports.

Since you will not automatically receive a new J-1 visa in your passport, please note there are additional procedures to follow if you leave the United States after you receive your extension DS-2019. You will not need to follow any procedures if you do not leave the United States after you received an extended DS-2019.

As mentioned in the document Obtaining and Extending Your J-1 Visa, [this document was enclosed with your DS-2019] if you extend your program and receive a new DS-2019, you will need to apply for a new J-1 visa if you travel out of the United States and want to re-enter on the J-1 visa. You will need a new J-1 visa in your passport since port officials must see the same dates on your J-1 visa and DS-2019.

When you travel out of the United States after your DS-2019 has been extended, please go to a U.S. Embassy and request an appointment to have your J-1 visa extended to your new program dates. Most of the time this must be done in your home country, but you can contact other U.S. embassies in secondary nations and ask if they would accept your request for an appointment.

If you plan on renewing your visa in a secondary country, please contact the embassy before you leave the United States. If the embassy cannot accept your request for an extension interview there is nothing ISEP can do to help you.

Transfer of a Program

ISEP is bly committed to ensuring that its international participants return to their home institutions at the end of their ISEP exchange and do not use the program as a means to immigrate to the United States. Consequently, ISEP will only agree to transfer you from its sponsorship to another institution's sponsorship when 1) you are enrolled in a graduate-degree program and 2) your home institution agrees to the transfer.