home search login
ISEPacademic trainingheader

Study in the USA


Academic Training

A period of study in the United States can be academically, culturally and personally enriching. It is also an important career credential, especially if it includes work experience in a U.S. company, government agency, or non-profit organization. Academic Training allows ISEP participants to gain this valuable work experience.

"Academic Training" is a term used by the U.S. Department of State for J-1 Visa students who wish to intern or work in the U.S. as part of their academic program. This work experience can be paid or unpaid, and must relate to the academic field which you are studying at your host university.

Most students participate in Academic Training after they have completed their academic program at the host university.

In order to participate in Academic Training, you must apply and be approved in advance by ISEP. You cannot participate in Academic Training without ISEP's approval.

How to Apply for Academic Training

Please contact your host ISEP Coordinator regarding Academic Training.

In order to apply, you will need to submit the documents below. All documents must arrive at the ISEP Central office 4 weeks prior to the end date listed on the student's DS-2019. Forms and documents may be scanned and submitted via email.

**Please note that students are required to pay a $100 processing fee for Academic Training.**

1) Request for J-1 Academic Training Authorization

2) Offer letter from prospective employer that includes the following (sample included in the application):

3) Statement from Academic Advisor (form included in the application)

4) Proof of funding:

5) Copy of Form DS-2019

6) Student Health Insurance Enrollment Form

7) Student Payment Form

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When can I do Academic Training?

Q: For how long am I allowed to do Academic Training?

Q: How do I know if a position qualifies for Academic Training?

Q: How do I find an Academic Training position?

Q: What are the costs involved?

Q: Am I eligible for Academic Training?